Total: $0.00
account store help my account
store hours and location

Port Mansfield Report

Moderator: Crank-B8

Port Mansfield Report

Postby McTrout » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:15 pm

Greetings folks,

I haven't been on the water since that nice little stingray poke back in May, but Capt. Tricia has been out there most days and continues to have some exceptional catches. Even with the temps running 100-103 each day, fishing down here has been as good as it has been for years. Unfortunately however, the traffic is also well above normal. That’s been good for the businesses down here, we just hope it’s good for the fish.

Even with the crowds the trout have still been consistent over deeper grass beds, and here that means about waist deep. Smaller fish are abundant, but the masses don’t seem to have much of a problem putting a good box together regardless of method. The topwater bite has been good to excellent in the shallows on most mornings, and then you need to follow the color changes and drop down with tails. There are still a lot of fish being caught running between 23 and 27 inches even during the heat of the day. Some still have had some impressive weight on them, especially for deep August fish.

Redfish are starting to show themselves in greater numbers on the flats. The clear sand has offered some great sight casting opportunity early, mostly on plastic tails. By mid morning most of the better fish have pulled down to the deeper potholes and sand strips. Drifters are doing O.K., but waders who are working these drops thoroughly are really doing well. A lot of the bigger reds are bunched up and moving fast out deeper, perhaps due to the amount of boat traffic lately. Things should settle down soon however, and after school starts, perhaps we will see more tailing activity in the shallows and it lasting longer into the day.

Water levels have been extremely low all summer but are starting to increase as we speak. We are predicted to see another foot of water by this time next month, and that will certainly change everything. Expect to see the shallows and ranch shorelines become laden with both mullet and gamefish soon. We started seeing bigger trout using the skinny on a consistent basis by mid-September last year and everything is looking towards a repeat this year. I’ve been down almost 3 months now, but am really getting excited about September, and I think I can get back in the water by the third week if all continues.

You guys go when you can, but please take what you need and leave the rest so we can all have a shot at greatness. Down here it looks like it’s going to happen again! See you there…

Mike

[/img]
McTrout

Return to Inshore