0 Item(s) in Cart
Total: $0.00
account store help my account
store hours and location

Don't have to go far from home

Moderator: Crank-B8

Don't have to go far from home

Postby cnull » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:14 pm

Saturday, October 31st, Scott and I fished the Texas Lady Anglers SpookTackleLure Fall Tournament. It was a small informal fun tournament. This tournament included a women's, men's and youth division.

The day was beautiful on the water! Although we got a late start, Scott did very well. Since we got a late start, we chose to launch in a easy, convenient location that proved to have a good selection of fish actively feeding. It was a small marsh area in site of I-45 South. We had birds working, a falling tide and light winds.

My first cast, 100 yds from our launch, brought in a small 14" flounder. He was released to grow some more, but what a great way to start the day.

We paddled and fished in and out of the small channels throughout the march. As we approached the structure at the end of a channel, we split up to try different approaches. Scott chose a shallow ditch and I chose an open flat with groups of birds working all over the place.

Well, I saw several cruising reds worthy of a tournament day winning stringer. They were just not interested in the 1/4 oz silver spoon or the 3" shrimp I was throwing. Good thing about fishing from a kayak, I got several tries at getting their attention, with no luck. Had a 27"+ cruise up next to the kayak that didn't seem to care what or who I was. I changed my strategy and moved over to an area with swift moving water and lots of structure in hope of finding a trout or flounder. Instead I found a small red that definitely needed more time to mature.

In the meantime, Scott preceded to find some cruising reds feeding on small (very small) white shrimp. With the patience that comes from his experience hunting big reds in a march, he successfully lands two reds he wished he had on his last Redfish Series tournament day. Obviously, his small Bass Assassin shad (shrimp color) was working much better than my new penny shrimp.

For any of you who know my husband, you know he enjoys putting other people on fish as much as he loves catching them. So, we stayed just a little too long while he waited for me to get a shot at one of the big reds - it didn't happen:(

Although we weren't far from our launch site, it was too far for the few minutes we had left to get to make the weigh-in deadline. He would have placed second in the men's redfish catagory. The winning fish was caught in a similar type of location - close to home.

We had a lot of fun! It was a wonderful day on the water no matter what the outcome.

Next chance you get, enjoy this cool weather and go fishing! Take a kid fishing with you. You don't have to go far to get some trophy fish on the line.

Tight lines,
Camille (Mrs. Let's Go)
cnull

Return to Kayaking