view cart
0 Item(s) in Cart
Total: $0.00
account store help my account
store hours and location

‹ Kayak Fishing Blog

Trout, Trout and more Trout

Posted Tuesday, October 8, 2013 by cnull in Kayak Fishing Blog

Saturday (10/5/13)  I met some of my “Anger’s Elite” team members for a day of fishing in Matagorda Bay. I arrived shortly after sun rise. My friends headed for the marsh in search of flounder and reds. I chose to head out to some deeper reefs in search of trout.

On my out to the water, I saw a tailing red. A couple of casts later I caught this little guy.

I started with a top water lure, but with little to no wind the trout didn’t seem interested. I switched to a Vudu Shrimp and that seemed to be the ticket.  I caught a number of trout ranging from 16″ to 20.5″.

photo vudu-shrimp_zps8ba5d22c.jpg

The first couple of trout were keeper sized but not large by any means.

photo 47216544-92b0-4070-9467-365950fed211_zpsaf123f4b.jpg

photo bfd7f0f6-f6a9-49ae-b936-2b4df6123665_zpsf4ad7bba.jpg

I finally landed a trout over 20″.

photo 1dcbb2c4-9496-453a-a0c6-eddf3a6e7ff9_zps1d688f06.jpg

After a while, I decided to visit my friends in the marsh. They had each caught a number of reds and flounder. I fished with them for a few minutes but failed to add any of those species.

After a while I decided to move to another reef and add some more trout for the day. I spent some time throwing top-water baits again.  A few casts later, I hooked a nice redfish. While trying to net the fish I got my net tangled up in the front treble hook and was unable to scoop the fish. I felt helpless. I tried to just fling him in the kayak but he came unhooked and I watched him swim away.

I decided to go back out to the hole where I caught my trout earlier. The trout were still in the area as I added a few more to my number. I ended the day with 13 keeper sized trout. Not a bad day. All fish were CPR’ed (caught, photographed and released safely).

Operationfish.com signing out,

Todd Hart