view cart
0 Item(s) in Cart
Total: $0.00
account store help my account
store hours and location

‹ Kayak Fishing Blog

Sharks and Red Bulls with Captain Todd Hart

Posted Friday, June 28, 2013 by cnull in Kayak Fishing Blog

Some friends of mine were making the trip to McFaddin beach, Saturday 6/22/13. Their goal was to target big shouldered, hard pullin’ Bull Reds. I figured I would make the trip and join in the fun as well.

I woke up early, loaded up the kayak and other gear and hit the road just before sun up. I stopped at my usual bait and tackle stop in Winnie Texas, The Sea Pony. Rick, the owner is always helpful and has all the bait and supplies you would ever need.

I was probably the last of the group to launch. I loaded up and hit the waves. I made sure this time I had my paddle secure. As soon as I passed the last breaker, I realized I left my hooks and leaders in my truck. Errrrrr.. I had to turn around, negotiate the surf and grab my missing gear.

Now, I was ready.  Everyone had stopped at 9′. There seemed to be lots of floating seaweed so I passed them up and I stopped at 11′. I baited up and threw out two lines. I instantly hooked up and began pulling in a small 4′ Atlantic Sharp Nose shark. Just as I got him to the boat my drag starting ripping on my second rod. I found myself with my hands full trying to maintain one small shark, while trying to fight what I was guessing was another much larger shark all awhile trying to undo my anchor line to go on the coveted “Texas Sleigh Ride”.

In a  short time, I was spooled and larger shark was gone. I had just put that line on my reel. Errr, money down the drain. I was now stuck using one pole (as I lost two rod and reel combos the day before in the surf).

The day turned out to be great. I landed 6 or 7 bull reds between 37″ and 42″. I also landed 5 sharks. Four of those sharks were over 48″ counting as points for Kayakwars.com.

There were a large number of redfish caught this day. Below is a picture of my largest. He measured just under 42″. If you want to hear more from Captain Todd Hart, visit his blog http://www.operationfish.com/

photo eb330cb3-e912-4d52-a4cc-06587a87391c_zpsa938ad0a.jpg