view cart
0 Item(s) in Cart
Total: $0.00
account store help my account
store hours and location

‹ Kayak Fishing Blog

New Year Fishing Trip

Posted Monday, January 6, 2014 by cnull in Kayak Fishing Blog

I hope everybody had a Happy New Year. I started my new year off doing something a little different. If you have read any of my past reports then you know how much I love chasing redfish in the marsh but on 1-1-2014 I was chasing trout on the flats of Sabine Lake. I get a call from my friend and fishing partner David Roberts of team Lamar University, telling me that he has found some flats on Sabine holding plenty of quality size trout and we decide to meet up and see if we can't pull some more in. We met at an undisclosed spot around 8 AM got unloaded and hit the water for a short paddle to where we would be fishing. We staked out in a spot that

David had just days prior caught about 25 solid trout including one that went 29"& 9lbs, well it didn't take long before David was hooked up with the first of many quality fish that we would catch that day. We caught all our fish including one solid flounder, on Corky's.

photo 2113c6d4-3a0b-4a88-aa5b-b23d211ba106_zpseba5c889.jpg

and Rapala X-rap subsurface, we fished for about 4 hours and caught about 30 trout between the 2 of us with most them in the 3-5 lb range and 4 of them were 27"+ and about 6 lbs and all fish released for another day. I will be working the Fishing Tackle Unlimited booth at the Houston Boat Show Saturday the 4th and Saturday 11th but I will find some time in there to hit the flats again for some more trout fishing.

photo b0d2ae11-5113-43fc-a1e1-db55f13ae00c_zps48b696f0.jpg

Tight lines and bent rods

Chad Lyden

lydenca@yahoo.com