shipping notice
view cart
0 Item(s) in Cart
Total: $0.00
account store help my account
store hours and location

‹ Sabine to Southwest Louisiana with Capt Bruce Baugh

Monster Trout in Big Lake

Posted Tuesday, December 6, 2011 by captbruce in Sabine to Southwest Louisiana with Capt Bruce Baugh

I had Brian Ko, who works for FTU, at the Katy Fwy location down for a trip. He brought friends Lou Nufers, Joe Pena,and Jason Bennet along in search some Calcasieu monster trout. They were not interested in numbers. As we launched the boat we had pretty frigid conditions. It was  33 degrees and I was scraping ice off my wind shield. The water temperature was a cold, 50 degrees and a light n/e wind was blowing.

We jumped out of the boat onto a muddy north shoreline, loaded with scattered toeheads or live oysters. There was not a mullet or bait fish in sight, although they had been there.

We were throwing Paul Browns Fatboys and his Broken - Back Fatboys. We then walked into a mega- school of big trout. It was not an easy wade.At times the mud was knee deep or more. We caught, if our count was correct, approx. 25 or so trout over 5 lbs. There were 4 over 8 lbs and Brian caught the big trout of the trip, a 30 1/8 toad that pulled the boga to almost 9 1/2 lbs. All of the trout were released. I tagged the bigger trout for the La. CCA study underway on Big Lake tracking their migration and growth rate. A trip to remember !!!