view cart
0 Item(s) in Cart
Total: $0.00
account store help my account
store hours and location

‹ Kayak Fishing Blog

Father-Son Bonding with Todd Hart

Posted Monday, August 19, 2013 by cnull in Kayak Fishing Blog

Let me start with a quick apology.  I took a week off from fishing for a well deserved anniversary trip with my wife.  We spent the week in Cozumel. It was a fun time with much relaxation. I came back to Texas recharged and ready to fish.

I got off the plane, raced home and readied my equipment for a morning run to East Matagorda Bay. My son is getting ready to go back to college so I wanted to get him out on the water for a father/son outing. I bought my boy a quart of shrimp on the way. We arrived at the launch site just before sun rise. My good friend, Grant, was all ready setting sail. We gave him a greeting as he pedaled off into the dark.

The tide was low but we managed to pedal most of the way with little problems. Once reaching the open bay I could see the bait being busted in almost every direction. I grabbed my trusty Pink Skitterwalk. This has been my go to top-water bait all summer.  I drifted for nearly 30 minutes without so much as a blow-up. Finally, I heard the familiar popping sound of my lure being sucked under.  I set the hook. After a short fight, I landed this nice 22″ trout.

photo 20934c8e-4c1a-4023-a0ab-d13c9797c786_zpsff5e9c9d.jpg

I continued fishing the same shallow sand flat. No further bites came from this area. I left my son in one of my favorite fishing holes, hoping he would be entertained with non-stop catching of fish. I worked my way around the grassy marsh in search of game fish. I was throwing a Gulp Mantis Shrimp along the grass and bouncing it off the bottom. Every once in a while I could see signs of red fish working the grass line. I was finally able to sneak up on some. This resulted in my only legal sized redfish of the day.

photo 0b2b3896-4746-475f-a059-73af6ae95a74_zps3721a50f.jpg

He was barely legal, but large enough to count towards my slam (a Texas slam includes a trout, flounder and redfish) and for Kayakwars points. Now I needed to find a flounder. I continued working the grass line. I saw a small reef up ahead. I edged the shoreline hoping to find a flounder along the grass near the oysters. It paid off as I was able to land this flounder.

photo d4b3171b-8092-46db-a27e-2341ecdba7d0_zps274560fb.jpg

I had my slam. I was happy. Now I found my son and we headed off to a couple of reefs. I took a handful of my sonís shrimp and staked out next to him so we could share some quality father/son/fishing time. We caught a number of nice croaker like the one pictured below.

photo 3a30b623-693f-4731-94ac-1fa67ef05f9a_zps4082857a.jpg

My son finally hooked a nice 19″ trout. He was happy. He brought it over to me to throw in the cooler. (We planned on a fish fry for dinner.) I took a few snap shots of my son as he brought his fish over. For the record, he doesnít normally look like a gansta-wanna-be hoodlum.

(Doesnít his pink net make him look manly?)

photo b4b622e4-e073-45d0-814d-5fa6b778aab6_zps8187d460.jpg

Shortly after placing his fish in my cooler, my phone kept ringing. It was non-stop. There were numerous calls. I thought I better check it in case it was something important. Good thing I did as my buddy Grant left a message saying he found a school of 20″ plus trout over a shallow 1-2′ sand flat. We pulled up our stake-out sticks and headed for the action. I was able to pull from the flat a couple of nice trout. Both came on the pink Skitterwalk. One measured around 19″ and the other around 20″.

photo c18ba2a8-7ce1-463a-b69a-a6560104b64b_zps9de4284e.jpg

We headed back to shore with a cooler full of fish. We packed the fish in ice and made the trip home. Once home the fish were fileted. The filets were baked in a garlic-butter saute.  Dinner also included garlic and herb rice, a fresh vegetable medley also sauted in garlic butter (sliced summer squash, zucchini, red peppers, green peppers, and yellow peppers) and sweet corn on the cob. Yum!!!

Operationfish.com signing out,

Todd Hart