view cart
0 Item(s) in Cart
Total: $0.00
account store help my account
store hours and location

‹ Kayak Fishing Blog

Chad Lyden: Sabine Lake Trout Tournament

Posted Tuesday, March 25, 2014 by cnull in Kayak Fishing Blog

Well i haven't posted very many fishing reports this year but I hoping that's all about to change. My partner David Roberts and I hit the water of Sabine Lake at 6 A.M. on a Sunday morning for a speckled trout tournament. We weren't feeling all that confident about this tournament because neither of us had really seen a trout hit the kayak in weeks but hey we were going to give it hell anyways. So we leave the launch and paddle straight for the spot we intend to start fishing at and there is plenty of bait in the water so that is a plus and things are already looking up. We get to our spot and start throwing top waters and I had two trout role on my top water so we anchor up and start whacking them. We found that the fish would come up and swirl behind your bait but not take it so when this happened we stopped our bait and then gave it one twitch and the fish would nail it. David picked up the majority of his on a Corky fat boy and I picked up all my fish on a Bomber top water. We ended up finishing in 3rd place out of 32 teams and were one of only 2 kayak teams to fish and the only kayak team to weigh in. Sure makes for a very gratifying feeling to not only be able to compete with but also finish in the top 5 while competing with the boaters and some of the top trout fisherman in our area. Now it's time to hit the marsh and see about some of those red fish that I love so much.

Tight lines and bent rods

Chad Lyden

lydenca@yahoo.com