view cart
0 Item(s) in Cart
Total: $0.00
account store help my account
store hours and location

‹ Kayak Fishing Blog

Chad Lyden: Sabine Lake 7/13/14

Posted Tuesday, July 22, 2014 by cnull in Kayak Fishing Blog

I know this is a little late but I've had quite a bit going on in my off the water life here lately. So I hit my favorite marsh over here by the Sabine Lake area bright and early on a peaceful Sunday morning. Looking to find some Redfish and some quiet time to relax my brain and unwind from a long stressful week of work at the plant.

I was not disappointed at all, from the time I hit the water until I returned to the launch it was a nonstop fishing frenzy. I found trout busting shad on my way back to the marsh and started catching them on small top waters until I finally got to the marsh entrance and made my way back to where I would start seeing and catching Redfish, after Redfish, after Redfish.

I found Redfish roaming around in the middle of some marsh ponds chasing shad and riding the tide coming into the marsh. I picked off several throwing the small Rapala Skitter-walk and after about an hour or so of catching Redfish on top waters I started finding some fish tailing around the edges of the grass. I started feeding them a Buggs Jig that they were more than happy to hit. I paddled and fished for about 4 1/2 hours and saw fish either tailing or just moving about all morning.

The flounder were in there pretty thick as well but with all the shad to eat they wanted nothing to do with any bait I had to offer them. On my way back I made an emergency water rescue, a dragon fly that apparently couldn't get off the water, so I scooped him up and let ride along until he dried off.

Tight lines and bent rods,

Chad Lyden