view cart
0 Item(s) in Cart
Total: $0.00
account store help my account
store hours and location

‹ Kayak Fishing Blog

Chad Lyden: Lone Star Kayak Series Cont.

Posted Monday, August 19, 2013 by cnull in Kayak Fishing Blog

Oh man the redfish action in the marsh is on fire right now and the reds are getting fat on shad. I fished on some of my favorite marsh Friday (8/16/13) looking for some redfish for a kayak tournament. The weather was perfect and the water level was right where I like it. I spent a lot of time paddling and looking verses casting and catching but I did manage a few solid 7 & 8 lbs fish on a Super Spook Jr so I knew I had my tournament spot picked out. I found fish feeding on schools of small shad and chasing small shrimp along the grass lines so I knew I needed to scale down my baits. So when I get home and start preparing for the tournament on Saturday, I tied on a Buggs Bonefish Jig (for casting at fish along the grass) and Mirrolure Mirrodine Mini for fishing the fish in the middle of the pounds feeding on shad. So Saturday morning roles around and I am pumped. I had gotten a great night’s sleep, got the dogs all fed and put away. I go outside to finish loading up when I notice a bit of a breeze out of the north. Now I live in the woods an hour north of the where I'll be fishing so a breeze at home is a pretty good wind down there. I get to the launch and find the wind blowing around 15-20 mph and the water level is now about 8 inches deeper than it was the day before which means all my fish are now scattered. I launch paddle to my first spot, no fish. Move to another spot, no fish. I eventually find 2 fish all the way in the back. I get them on the stringer and turn around for the long paddle back, directly into the wind I might add, dragging 13 1/2 pounds of redfish. Load up the kayak, put fish in the live well and make the 2 hour drive to the weigh in. I finish third in the Lone Star Kayak Series Tournament held out of Louie’s in Hitchcock. I collected my winnings for placing in 3rd and made the 2 hour drive back home. Man that was a long and exhausting day; I can't wait to do it again in October.

Captain Chad Lyden