view cart
0 Item(s) in Cart
Total: $0.00
account store help my account
store hours and location

‹ Kayak Fishing Blog

Battling Through Rough Waters and Stormy Weather

Posted Friday, October 4, 2013 by cnull in Kayak Fishing Blog

A new month arrived, giving me the chance to score “Kayakwars” points once again for red fish. I had a day off from work and hit the surf on October 1st. My destination was McFaddin Beach.

I stopped at the Seapony Bait & Tackle shop to pick up some supplies and bait. This time of year you can only purchase mullet under 12″ in length. The sky was looking a bit stormy so I hung out at the Seapony for a bit. Rick, the owner made me some leaders while I waited.

I finally hit the road and made my way to the beach. I was forced to wait another 45 minutes or so for the storm to pass. Around 9:30 I pedaled out into the surf. I stopped at approximately 11-12′. On my first cast I had a run. It was a large black tip shark and he broke me off above the leader.

Before long I hooked my first redfish. He was just over 42″.

 photo 61f0b29d-3db4-4b9d-a1ff-7afec361c015_zps6046c5cf.jpg

I was using approximately 5″ pieces of mullet. The fish were biting at a pretty good rate. I only fished for approximately three hours and landed 14 bull reds. They all measured between 35-42″.

 photo 08a1e137-a637-4a22-a4ac-19b0ca8bce7b_zps13568d6e.jpg

 photo 0224264e-08d6-4cc6-8a6b-6d51f0941752_zps742d2fdb.jpg

I also caught numerous gaft-tops. They were everywhere forcing me to re-bait my lines often. Each time I landed one I was stuck trying to remove their slim from my hands and everything else they touched. They are just nasty fish.

 photo 835feb42-e885-4237-9ae3-f21e37201bf6_zpsee5990bb.jpg

For most of the morning I could see a front that was stalled out a short distance away. It didn’t seem to be moving so I figured it couldn’t be too windy.

 photo 837f7427-490e-4782-ba8e-873cdf1b4a9e_zps45e6dcfb.jpg

I made the poor decision to continue fishing. Towards the end of my trip I hooked two nice reds at the same time.

 photo 1ca0913c-5b2b-4472-aabd-8974a74336e1_zps17da7342.jpg

In the short amount time it took me to land, photograph and release those two fish the wind started howling. I mean ripping to the point I was actually a bit scared. I quickly pulled anchor and made my way as fast as possible towards the shore.

For a few minutes I actually feared I might not make it back. It was all I could do to keep the kayak upright in the wind and waves. I finally made it close to shore and turned around to approach the beach backwards in hopes of staying upright as I made my way towards the safety of dry land. I secured all my belonging and worked my way towards the beach.

 photo 5c56ed75-8276-47b3-b916-6862ed454ce2_zpsa2cc01de.jpg

As shown in the picture above the waves were way to rough to safely descend to shore, but I had little choice. I kept my nose to the waves. I pedaled and paddled all I could to keep my bow in the waves.

When I got close to shore a huge wave lifted my front so high the backend sank and hit the bottom. This of course caused me to tip over. Fortunately, I had made it back to only a few feet of water. In a brief second I found myself between the kayak and the submerged sand.

I popped out, tipped the kayak back over and pulled it to shore. I was going to wait out the storm, but realized I lost my remaining bait and my last few leaders in the surf.  I had caught 14 redfish in only 3 short hours and six of those red fish were over 40″. I decided to call it a day.


Operationfish.com signing out,


Todd Hart